Recommended ages: 2-5
Noodles aren’t just fun to eat — they're fun to play with, too. CCRI Child Development Specialist Kari Hart and her son dyed some pasta and created hours of fun.
What you need:
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 10 to 15 drops of food coloring per color
- Ziploc bags (one bag for every different color)
- Noodles of your choice
For each color of noodle you plan to dye:
1. Place noodles in a Ziploc bag.
2. Add 1 Tablespoon vinegar and 10 to 15 drops of the food coloring of your child’s choice.
3. Close the bag (make sure it’s secure).
4. Turn on some music and dance while you and your child shake up the bags to spread the color over the noodles.
5. Have your child lay the noodles out to dry. For best results, let noodles dry overnight.
Here are some fun ideas for how your child can use her new colorful noodles:
- Sort them by color
- Use them to create letters or shapes
- Thread them onto yarn or string — great for fine motor skills!
- Make a track for cars and trucks
Looking for more ways to use your noodles? Encourage your child to try these:
- Use noodles to enhance art projects or playdough creations.
- Find noodles hidden in rice or sand.
- Add glue to use noodles as building blocks.
- Practice measuring using noodles (1 cup, ½ cup, ¼ cup, etc.)