Recommended Ages: 5+ (younger with supervision)
These pancake skewers are yummy AND they let your kitchen helpers develop basic cooking skills!
This weekend, try making these delectable skewers made healthier by CCRI’s Early Head Start Health and Nutrition Specialist, Justin Turner. Children as young as 5 can skewer their own pancakes.
What you’ll need:
- Pancake batter (boxed mix or your own recipe)
- Butter or cooking spray
- Sliced strawberries, bananas, or other fruit
- Spread of choice: hazelnut, peanut butter, etc.
- Toothpicks or longer skewers
- Prepare pancake mix according to instructions on the box. Let your child pour measured ingredients and mix the batter.
- Preheat griddle over medium heat; prep with cooking spray or butter.
- Drop batter using a teaspoonful at a time onto the griddle to make pancakes the size of a quarter. Older children (8+) can cook their pancakes with supervision.
- Cook 1-2 minutes, then flip. Cook until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Wash and slice fruit in preparation for skewering. Children ages 5 and up can slice their fruit using a dull knife. With supervision, children 8 and up can use a sharp knife.
- Once all the pieces are ready, let your child can create his/her own stacks using pancakes, sliced fruits, spreads. Children 5 and older can skewer their own stacks. Bon appétit!
Stay safe (and at home) and take care.