While your child is painting, comment on what you see and ask questions to encourage critical thinking.
- What could we paint this rock to look like?
- I see that you are mixing the red paint and blue paint. What do you think will happen?
Incorporate math by talking about the shapes or sizes of the items your child is painting.
- How many sticks are you planning to paint?
- I see you have painted three of the rocks you gathered. How many rocks do you have in total?
- Can you sort your items by size?
- What is taller, the stick you are painting or the cat?
- How many sticks high do you think you are?
When your child is finished painting, ask her to help clean up while her masterpieces dry!