Recommended ages: 3+
Displaying luminaries can be a fun way to ring in the new year! CCRI Child Development Specialist Lindsay O’Connor created these luminaries with her child using a cutout heart, but you and your family can create any type of design you choose.
Cutting out the shapes in the bag builds children's hand strength and fine motor skills, which will help them when they learn to write. Using scissors is also great for your child's bilateral coordination, as he uses one hand to cut and the other to hold the bag.
Things you will need:
- Pencil, crayon, or other writing utensil
- Paper bags
- Sand or rocks
- Tea light candles (real or battery-operated)
- Safety scissors
- Help your child draw a simple shape on each side of the paper bags.
- Encourage your child to carefully cut out the shapes.
- When it’s dark, place the bags outside or in your window. Fill the bottoms with sand or rocks to keep them stable.
- Place a candle inside each bag to light up the luminaries.